1 cup quick cooking or old fashioned oats
o 1 cup spoon-size shredded wheat cereal
1 cup walnuts
1½ cups dried fruit (choose one or more of the following: dried plums/prunes, raisins, cherries, apricots, cranberries)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
o 2 large eggs
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the oats, shredded wheat, walnuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped (the fruit should be the size of a dried pea or lentil).
- Whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Add the oat mixture and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan, and flatten gently with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
5. Bake about 18 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown. Let cool completely in pan before slicing into twelve 2 x 2½- inch bars.
TIP: These bars freeze really well. So, if you have leftovers, wrap individual portions in plastic baggies or aluminum foil and freeze.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 Bar): 200 calories, 9g fat (1.5g saturated, 0.9g omega-3), 30g carbohydrate, 115mg sodium, 3g fiber, 4g protein