8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 1¼ cups)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
5 large eggs, beaten
One 16-ounce container fresh strawberries, sliced
Light whipped cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan and dust the bottom with granulated sugar. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips and oil in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir until the chips melt, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the sugar, flour, and cocoa powder in a large bowl until well combined. Whisk in the eggs until well blended. Add the melted chocolate and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool completely. When cool, remove from the pan, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with the strawberries and the whipped cream as desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 slice): 230 calories, 13g fat (3.5g saturated, 0.7g omega-3), 28g carbohydrate, 25mg sodium, 2g fiber, 4g protein, 25% vitamin C