1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1½ cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef (93 or 95% lean)
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
One 32 -ounce carton all-natural chicken broth
One 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 cup 1% low-fat milk, divided
One 10-ounce box chopped frozen spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
One 12-once bag dried whole grain, wide egg noodles (we used Ronzoni Healthy Harvest)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the meat, Italian seasoning, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and cook, breaking up the large pieces until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess fat.
- Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, 3/4 cup of the milk, and the spinach, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the pasta and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook at a low boil, covered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 9 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup milk until well combined. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the pasta. Maintain at a low boil and stir gently until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Top individual servings with additional Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and chopped basil as desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 generous cup): 290 calories, 8g fat (2.5g saturated), 38g carbohydrate, 400mg sodium, 6g fiber, 20g protein, 80% vitamin A, 15% calcium, 20% iron