1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
One 16-ounce bag frozen tri-color peppers
3 cups cooked lentils
½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1½ teaspoons chili powder
One 16-ounce container low-fat cottage cheese
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
2 large eggs, beaten
One 12-ounce bottle all-natural enchilada sauce
Twelve 6-inch corn tortillas, cut in half
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the lentils, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil or coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese, and eggs until well combined.
- Spread ¼ cup enchilada sauce in the prepared pan. Arrange 8 tortilla halves over the sauce, allowing them to overlap slightly. Top evenly with half the cottage cheese mixture, half the lentil mixture, and ½ cup enchilada sauce.
- Repeat the next layer with 8 tortilla halves, the remaining cottage cheese mixture, the remaining lentil mixture, and ½ cup enchilada sauce. Top with the remaining tortillas, enchilada sauce, and the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until the casserole is heated through and bubbly, about 35 minutes.
Note: A one-pound bag of dry lentils will cook up to 6 or 7 cups.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 serving): 320 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated), 590mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 9g fiber, 26g protein, 35% vitamin A, 50% vitamin C, 25% calcium, 15% iron