1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
One 16-ounce jar salsa
One 15½ -ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
One 10-ounce bag or box frozen corn kernels, thawed (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Five 8-inch flour tortillas, cut in half
One 16-ounce container low-fat cottage cheese
1½ cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Cook the meat and carrot in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the salsa, black beans, corn, chili powder, and cumin to the skillet and stir to combine.
- To assemble the lasagna, arrange a third (about 2 cups) of the meat mixture in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish. Layer half the tortillas over the meat, allowing them to overlap. Spoon half of the cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of the Cheddar cheese over the tortillas and spread evenly.
- Place 2 more cups of meat mixture over the cottage cheese. Layer with the remaining tortillas and cottage cheese. End with the meat mixture.
- Top with the remaining Cheddar cheese and bake uncovered until the cheese melts and the lasagna is heated through, about 25 minutes.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 340 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated), 37g carbohydrate, 880mg sodium, 5g fiber, 30g protein, 60% vitamin A, 20% vitamin C, 20% calcium, 20% iron