2½ cups walnuts, finely ground (about 2 cups)
2½ cups plain bread crumbs
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoons mixed dried herbs (sage, thyme, tarragon, summer savory)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3 large eggs
¼ cup whole milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups ready-to-serve tomato soup
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Generously coat a loaf pan with butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, bread crumbs, onion, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk and add to the walnut mixture, combining well.
- Place the mixture in the prepared pan, press down gently and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Combine the butter with 1¼ cups hot water. Pour ⅓ cup of the water over the loaf and return to oven. Cook another 30 minutes, until browned, basting frequently with the water. Remove the loaf to a warmed platter, and cut into 10 slices. Warm the tomato soup, place in a small pitcher, and let everyone drizzle some over their slice of walnut loaf.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 serving): 330 calories, 21g fat (3g saturated, 2.6g omega-3), 440mg sodium, 4g fiber, 10g protein, 2.6g ALA omega-3 fats